[mythtv-users] 0.23 [26863] backend stops responding to some requests but continues to record as scheduled?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 21:12:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 13:46 -0700, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:
>>
>> This mailing list is NOT a bug-reporting venue.  We have trac for
>> that.
>
> And one no sooner adds any comment to a trac bug and it's closed down.
> You can imagine why people might find using trac to be less than
> welcoming.
>
>> There are several bugs that seem to be related to this issue
>> that are open right now in trac and that are getting a fair amount of
>> developer attention.
>
> That's good news.  Glad to hear it.
>
>> Whining
>
> Is that what I was doing when I posted a stack trace of the problem in
> action as was previously requested, IIRC?
>
>> We have a centralized place for bug reports.  Please use it.
>
> I will keep that in mind.  Thanx.

I'm not going to comment on the politics, but quite a few years ago
when I first started becoming involved with MythTV the dev's made it
clear that all potential bugs be vetted through the users list before
moving on to trac or the dev list. I assume this hasn't changed?

These types of flame incitements due no good though. Mr Murrell's
email to the user list should have been greeted with a "looks like a
bug, report it to trac" reply (or, "looks like bug #1234", since many
of us don't know what we're reading in bug reports half the time),
instead of, as he said, being ignored, or, as you've done here,
telling us all what we already know, bugs belong in trac (in the same
way that feature requests don't belong in trac). Granted, they won't
always be caught, but instead of incitement, why not look up the email
he referenced, and reply to it with either "report it to track" or
"looks like bug #1234"?

That said, Brian, trac tickets get closed when useful information is
not added, I've seen this play out numerous times with the same
response from the devs, so I know the response and the policy has been
generally consistent for years. Tickets even get left open briefly
with a note telling the original reporter to add information as
requested. In this case you've done relatively good due diligence in
getting a backtrace and such which would have been a good start for
trac, generally us end users aren't the best at putting together the
needed information on first go, but the dev's are also quite patient
in helping users obtain this information.

James: I've been thinking about upgrading to 0.24-fixes now that RC2
has been released. I've been afraid of the WAF factor (or in my case
the 6 housemates factor), but this is a pretty big WAF killer as well.
Good to hear your experience with it so far has not resulted in this
bug appearing.

I need a beer.

--
Steve