[mythtv-users] Multiplexing vs multiple cards

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Thu Nov 4 06:03:28 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Paul Buchanan <paul.buchanan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using hardware that I've rescued from various sources to make one master
> and one slave.  3ghz and 2.8ghz P4 CPUs.
> Quite old I know ... so I'm trying to manage the load as best I can with
> config tweaks.

Ah, fair enough - hot, power hungry, and pretty weak by todays
standards. I have a P4 3.0GHz under my desk as a footrest - I suspect
it has worked its last day ;o)

I'd suggest you limit the system to 2 simultanous jobs and see how you
go - real time commflagging isn't as CPU intensive as it might be,
because it's capped at the framerate of the incoming video.

Oh, and make sure you make life as easy as you can for it - put the
database on a different disk to the recordings, and spread your
recordings directories over 2+ disks too, if you can - made a huge
difference to my (rather more powerful) system - with 3 harddrives, I
can now record 6 programs (typically 5 SD and 1 HD, given how little
real HD content we get here) with commflagging whilst playing a
recording on a seperate frontend - I've never tried winding up both
frontends at once on a Saturday night, but I suspect it'd handle it.

- Chris