[mythtv-users] Loads of failed / empty recordings.

Phil Linttell phil.linttell at rogers.com
Thu Nov 4 11:36:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 at 20:51:25 -0400, Tom Dexter
<digitalaudiorock at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > What is this option?  I've never heard of it.  Rarely go into
>> > mythtv-setup because it interrupts my busy back end.
>> >
>> > Is this for analog or digital/HD?
> I don't know if the option if for digital only or not...in my case I'm
> using nothing by digital OTA.
>
> It's in the Input Connections section, labeled "Use Quick Tuning".  At
> the suggestion of several users on mythtvtalk.com I set it to "always"
> and it seems to have made these missed recording occurrences at least
> more rare than they were.
>
> Tom

I'm seeing a resurgence of 0-byte failed recordings in 0.24-fixes
(27086), using an HD-PVR (no "Quick Tuning" option applicable in the
Input Connections setting.)

Here's a log excerpt from a failure I had last night:

2010-11-04 04:03:57.284 TVRec(1): rec->GetPathname():
'/mnt/mythtv/recordings/2225_20101104040400.mpg'
2010-11-04 04:03:57.728 MPEGRec(/dev/hdpvr0) Error: StartEncoding failed
                        eno: Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
2010-11-04 04:03:57.802 MPEGRec(/dev/hdpvr0) Error: Failed to start
recording
2010-11-04 04:03:58.488 TVRec(1): Changing from RecordingOnly to None

Subsequent recordings worked, although I've also seen the case where all
subsequent recordings are also zero-byte until the backend is restarted.

In previous releases, I saw similar behaviour until I added a 6 second
delay in the channel changing script.  With the inclusion of the
signalmonitor in 0.24, I've also set a 15,000 ms tuning timeout for the
adapter, but from the log there was less than 12 seconds from the start
of recording until the failure.

I am seeing occasional instances of the "Error Opening jump program file
buffer" in Live TV, so I'm wondering whether that issue, and the
recordings failures are releated.