[mythtv-users] Multiplexing vs multiple cards

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 17:45:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> it's not just recording, but also playback. the more different files
> you are reading/writing the more the heads have to move around. I
> think you can expect to be able to record a few streams and play back
> a few without issue (as long as your database is on a different
> drive), but the more you ask the system to do the more your really
> going to want to spend the money to add another recording drive.

For sure.  I do (nearly every day) about 5 or 6 concurrent recordings
(mostly HD), all the while commflagging 4 shows from the previous
timeslot, and while I watch a show on the frontend.  At times, it uses
only one of the 4 drives (especially while I was resizing my drives),
and I have not once seen an issue.  Of course, at this point, I'm
using 4*1TB 7200RPM drives, but I had it working great with slower
smaller drives, and at times on one drive.

Having multiple drives is still a good idea overall, but some people
seem to be more worried than they need to be. :)