[mythtv-users] Multiplexing vs multiple cards

Douglas Peale Douglas_Peale at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 18:00:19 UTC 2010

On 11/04/2010 10:41 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  On 11/04/2010 01:16 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 11/4/2010 13:11, Douglas Peale wrote:
>>> BTW I was unable to find the option for real-time comm-flag in the menus. The only thing I found was "Enable experimental
>>> speedup of commercial detection". Is that it?
>>
>> No.  That intends to speed up commflagging by running the analysis on a half scale (quarter pixels) video.
>
> mythtv-setup:
>
> Start Auto-Commercial Flagging jobs when the recording starts
> If set and Auto Commercial Flagging is ON for a recording, the flagging job will be started as soon as the recording starts.
> NOT recommended on underpowered systems.
>
> (or in trunk:
>
> Start auto-commercial-detection jobs when the recording starts
> If enabled, and Auto Commercial Detection is ON for a recording, the flagging job will be started as soon as the recording
> starts. NOT recommended on underpowered systems.
> )
>
> Note, though, that the option becomes mostly meaningless when you factor in back-to-back recordings.
>
> Instead, setting the "Maximum simultaneous jobs on this backend" and "CPU usage" and "Job Queue start time" and "Job Queue end
> time" appropriately will be useful for people who are attempting to run underpowered backend systems.
>
> Mike

Thank you.

In my case I am not running an under powered system (i7 with 6 GB of memory).
Thinking about this, the read may be avoided by the data still being in the cache when the comment flagger goes to read it. I
think I'll give that a try. It should improve a disk limited system as long as the flagger does not get too far behind.