[mythtv-users] SUPER slow I/O on storage drive

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 04:09:28 UTC 2010

I'm using a 160GB SATA drive with an XFS filesystem for MythTV recordings.
I've been using this drive for years with HD content with no problem. But
for the past couple days, the read/write has been a real headache. Writing
is slow, so recordings are approximately 5-7% smaller than they normally
are, with skips. Reading is slow, as playback (even of properly-recorded
material) has frequent buffering problems.

I've checked with top running int he background and through all the jumping
and studdering, the CPU usage never goes higher than 10%.

I haven't been getting any errors in dmesg (except I have been getting
mythbackend segfaults that I don't think are related). Can anyone point me
in the right direction as far as diagnosing and perhaps fixing this problem?
Thanks!