[mythtv-users] DisplaySize = Full ?

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Nov 5 18:29:42 UTC 2010

On 11/05/2010 09:11 AM, mike at grounded.net wrote:
> The bottom line is that when I built the house, I decided to build a
> full server room environment for the development work I do, backup
> battery power, generator, etc etc. I also have a number of T1, Coax
> and optical line coming into the place.
> When I built, I wanted to make sure I could keep an eye on things if I wasn't around so installed cameras at every angle inside and out that would allow me to see anything, anywhere, cept washrooms and personal areas of course.
>
> So if that helps you to understand why I've mentioned I have many feeds, that's one reason.
> The other is that recently, I've become somewhat interested in FTA and have also changed from DTV to W5 services so have three satellite receivers in the place along with the usual things like media players of various types.
>
> The end result is a bunch of video that I'd love to consolidate onto IP. Another reason I'd like to have it IP is because every now and then, I need to stream something to someone, it might be a camera feed or an FTA news feed, something temporary to show a remote person something. That part is why I think it would be way cool if I could have at least one or two outputs which I could stream.
>

> The rest is pure interest since media is something I've always played with, including encoding in the past but nothing in terms of building something like this, as a home system, including consolidating all of the mess I have.
>
> When I built the house, I bought around 10 Pico Macom RF modulators so that I could just tune into a channel to watch what ever video I wanted. Could be a camera in front or back or side of the house, could be a media player, could be one of the two DTV receivers I was using. SD over the coax has always been just fine, we're simply not that picky when it comes to watching TV. We're only picky when we want to watch HD, as anyone else would be. Putting everything onto RF in SD and even mono has always been fine.
> I just figure it's time to modernize now and I don't really want to use RF anymore since IP everything can be done on IP now. I want to retire the modulators and thought it would be nice to be able to 'tune' into different channels over IP, just as I've doing using RF right now.

So what you're trying to do (or already have done) is create a CATV
headend in your house.  Which is fine if that's what you want.  MythTV
is a PVR, not something that can be used to create a CATV headend.  If
you really want to use MythTV, then it will be a fundamental paradigm
shift.  I'll see if I can address each of your needs:

1. Lots of video sources
No problem. For cable, OTA, FTA satellite, etc. MythTV will use various
tuner or capture cards for each source.  You will schedule recordings,
and watch the recordings from a frontend machine (a frontend machine can
be a tiny ION-based system for a couple hundred bucks each) at each TV.