[mythtv-users] Myth TV on server

Mark renegade8040 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 05:15:20 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 7:34 PM, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

> I totally disagree with that evaluation.  If you end up doing HD
> captures, especially with HD-PVR (over USB), you will want a nice
> powerful server as the commercial detection will require plenty.
> Other than being PCI-X instead of PCI-E, this server is fairly
> comparable-ish to the i7-860 (quad core) box I built for my backend
> recently.  And you will almost assuredly run out of disk space :)

The server is also going to be doing backups for all the computers on
the network as well as streaming music.  I also want to set it up to let
me boot from the network and run folding at home.  I want the server to
be the heart of the home network, so hopefully it can do all this
without dying on me.
I know for a fact that disk space will be a problem, but I'm only
starting with the 1tb disk.  I hope to fill the other 3 slots with 2+ tb
disks soon.   I also have a two bay NAS on the network that I can use.
> PCI-X is 66MHz 64bit PCI, IIRC.  So yes, you should be able to use
> PVR-x50.  However if you intend to do HD captures, you are down to
> using either the HD Homerun (connects via ethernet) or the HD-PVR
> (USB).  Almost all current capture cards are PCI-E.

The HD-PVR looks like a nice option for me.  I will have to get a usb
2.0 pci adapter card though, since it only has usb 1.1 currently.
Hopefully Linux wont have a problem with that.  I'm also going to switch
from openSUSE to Mythdora since the HD-PVR is supported out of the box
with that distro.  The website for the mobo says that SUSE and Red Hat
are the only linux distros that can be used, but as far as I know, any
linux distro should work fine on it, I don't see why not.
Thanks for all the help guys!