[mythtv-users] SUPER slow I/O on storage drive

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 05:01:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Justin Johnson <justin.johnson3 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Christopher Meredith
> <chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone point me
> > in the right direction as far as diagnosing and perhaps fixing this
> problem?
> > Thanks!
>
> I would check the SMART stats on the drive using smartctl, paying
> particular attention to the current_pending_sector and
> reallocated_sector_count. Could be that the drive is about to fail.

I went over various suggestions including the XFS tools and SMART. I found
that my filesystem was 50% fragmented but got frustrated trying to
defragment it so I deleted all my recordings, wiped the drive, and
reformatted it as ext4. I figured a brand-new filesystem ought to smooth
things out.

Nope.

I still get copious buffer errors and studdering playback with MythTV,
mplayer, VLC, whatever. The SMART readout on the drive doesn't indicate any
major problems:

http://pastebin.com/yWXartSz (I'm told the Airflow_Temperature_Cel error is
not cause for concern)

I'm really stumped here. If this is a drive problem, how else might I
confirm?