[mythtv-users] Is the Acer Revo still the best frontend?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Nov 9 17:48:37 UTC 2010


  On 11/09/2010 11:12 AM, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> Apple Mac Mini + Broadcom Crystal HD then. Latest flash player 
> actually offloads to the crystalhd reasonably well, though its not yet 
> 100% stable. Or Apple Mac Mini w/nVidia graphics running Mac OS X, 
> where there's decode offload to the GPU.

Of course, with the software scaling and compositing in Flash, you're 
fixing the 5% problem and leaving the 95% problem with the CrystalHD.  :)

That said, a modern Mac Mini with appropriately-chosen CPU and 
VDPAU-compatible NVIDIA GPU is a great frontend system.

Yeah, you can *choose* to buy an under-spec'ed Mac Mini.  But you can 
/not/ choose to buy a sufficiently-spec'ed Atom-based system.

Or, for those who don't want to pay Apple prices, there are other ways 
to get the same benefits as the Mac Mini for cheaper.

Mike


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list