[mythtv-users] HD black bars on top and bottom of screen

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Wed Nov 10 11:03:06 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 07:55:25PM -0800, Kevin Ross wrote:
> >I have tried adjusting the fill and the aspect ratio, but these either
> >do nothing or end up distorting the video a lot. How can I get rid of
> >these bands? Thanks. --Omari

> Sounds like you have your PC set to the wrong output resolution,
> like maybe 1280x1024 or 1024x768.  Your TV will stretch the MythTV
> menu screen to fill the screen, but MythTV will add black bars at
> the top and bottom, since your resolution is set to a 4:3 ratio.
> Try changing your resolution to 1280x720 or 1920x1080, or whatever
> the native resolution of your TV is.

Thanks. I have fiddled around with xorg.conf and xrandr. xrandr now says
that my output resolution is 1360x768. My TV manual says that a
supported resolution is 1366 x 768. It seems 1360 x 768 is a 16:9
resolution, yet I am still getting gray bands on the top and bottom of
the screen. They are taking up about a fourth of the screen, total.