[mythtv-users] Digital Audio Passthrough not working Mythtv 0.24-fixes

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 20:38:01 UTC 2010

Hi

On 11 November 2010 03:21, David Knight <dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:

> When running the scan process "ALSA:default" isn't detected however
> "ALSA:default:CARD=Nvidia" is detected but shows "No digital passthrough"
> under Audio capabilities. I have been manually entering "ALSA:default" as
> the audio output device.

What does the audio device description shows in the settings (bottom
of the page). It probably is showing as analog and is reporting a
maximum of 6 channels support.
I'd like to get that information please.

Unfortunately, your particular use isn't supported.
Myth relies on the capabilities reported by ALSA on the primary device
to determine what your system can do.

My guess is that your card reports 6 channels support, and be an
analog interface, so DTS and AC3 are disabled in the settings.

By manually entering ALSA:default you are effectively overriding all
the settings and prevent myth of doing its job as it is designed to
do. To verify that it is indeed the case, after entering ALSA:default,
press the Scan devices , and see at the bottom what the device report.

That it worked before was a matter of luck really and now that it is
more tightly controlled you can't do it anymore.

Will have to think on how to enable a use case for your particular usage.