[mythtv-users] How to mass-clear list of recordings?

Manuel McLure manuel at mclure.org
Wed Nov 10 20:59:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
> Hopefully I'll be able to recover most of the recordings, but I wanted
> to ensure that in the worst case I can clean up the database.

The good news is that Gnu ddrescue managed to copy all but two sectors
of the volume to a new drive, and xfs_repair was then able to repair
the filesystem on the new drive, so I appear to have dodged the
bullet. I'm glad I didn't lose my 508 recordings!

I highly recommend Gnu ddrescue (gddrescue package on *buntu, ddrescue
on Gentoo) as a utility you should have on any recovery CD. It's a lot
faster than the dd_rescue script that is more commonly installed, and
is designed to recover as much as possible as fast as possible rather
than banging its head against the wall of the first bad sector.
--
Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel at mclure.org> <http://www.mclure.org>
...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,