[mythtv-users] Hauppauge HD-PVR: no /dev/video0 device node

Omari Norman omari at smileystation.com
Thu Nov 11 01:39:05 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I just bought a Hauppauge HD-PVR. Unfortunately I cannot use it with
Linux as no /dev/video0 device node is being created. lsusb shows the
device as "Hauppauge". When I plug the HD-PVR into my computer's USB
slot, the hdpvr module does not load; however, "modprobe hdpvr" runs
without showing any errors in dmesg.

Although the hdpvr module loads fine, I get no /dev/video0 node. Running

find /dev -iname '*video*'

finds nothing. I tried doing

mknod /dev/video0 c 81 0

but then trying to run "cat /dev/video0 > test.ts" just gives "No such
device or address."

The device works fine in Windows XP; when it records it lights up.
(Which is kind of ridiculous; is it trying to say "the aliens have
landed"? but anyway...)

Ideas? This is Debian squeeze, Linux 2.6.32. Thanks so much for any
help. --Omari

--
The man who knew too little.