[mythtv-users] Mythnetvision - iPlayer on 64 bit Mythbuntu unable to play..... a fresh 0.24 install

Doug Vaughan r.d.vaughan at rogers.com
Thu Nov 11 03:54:24 UTC 2010

Stephen,

Mythbrowser uses the same Flashplugin that Firefox uses. When you wrote "I can't play the programmes" do you mean that the Mythbrowser screen just shows an all black window? Please be more descriptive on what happens when you select a BBC iPlayer program to play from Netvision. See if you have the same issue with the Youtube grabber.

I can confirm that from a fresh 64bit Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 10.10 install with their repro's 64bit Flashplugin (version 10.2.161.23 64bit), the BBC iPlayer programs will play in MythBrowser. I verified this just yesterday. Install locations for Ubuntu/Mythbuntu 64bit from repository:
/usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so
/usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so

You may be interested in some information on dealing with Flash installs. I am not sure if this would help you:
1) Ubuntu thread discussion on Flashplugin issues and solutions:
2) Ubuntu Maverick specific flash plugin instructions both 32bit and 64bit see "6c) Install Flash plugin":
http://www.futuredesktop.org/
3) FireFox plugin that cleans up an old Flashplugin installs called "FLASH-AID 1.0.16". You can get it from Firefox's own plugin site. I did use this plugin to clean up an old flashplugin on my own system. It gives you a chance to see the bash script before it is run. You can copy the bash script without running it and modify as you wish. Personally I liked the clean up commands but would rather install from the repository.
4) Verify your Flashplugin install and display its version number. This link can be used within MythBrowser by going to "Information Centre->Web" and adding a link just to try the URL below:
http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Good Luck

Doug