[mythtv-users] cutlist editing hangs frontend

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Sat Nov 13 23:34:52 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 07:35:02AM -0800, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> I'm seeing something like this on some CBS 1080i recordings.  It only
> happens on some seeks, but it is repeatable and hangs the frontend.

it happens for me on every recording. my guess is that the editor can't
handle raw DVB program streams.

> It looks like doing a lossless transcoding before editing may make the
> problem go away.

thanks for that, a nice workaround for the problem.

now if only the new cutlist editor wasn't clumsy and awkward compared
to the 0.23 version:

 - when using a keyboard, Enter no longer works to add/delete/move a
   cutpoint. instead, you have to press M instead and then navigate
   a multi-level menu.

   I can't find any option in the Edit Keys setup screen to re-enable
   the Enter key for this function.  It's possible that there is one,
   but it isn't obvious.

 - what used to be a simple operation to add/delete/move a cutpoint
   is now a clumsy navigation of a multi-level menu requiring at least
   twice as many keystrokes, making editing the cutlist much slower and
   more tedious.

 - it seems that new cut points have to be created as a Start & End
   pair, rather than as an individual cut point with a forward or back
   direction.

 - there seems to be no way to 'flip direction' on a cut point any more.
   that was a very useful feature.

 - when moving a cutpoint, it no longer detects the nearest cutpoint and
   acts accordingly. you have choose from the menu whether you're moving
   the start of the next cut or the end of the previous cut.

none of these are showstopper problems, and i suppose i'll get used to
the changes eventually - but WHY does every new release of mythtv seem
to take something that was simple and straightforward and easy to use
and make it clumsy and awkward to use? there are enough benefits in each
new release to make it worthwhile to upgrade, but it seems that at least
one major component suffers a serious usability regression every time
(last time it was the way that the left & right arrow keys worked in the
menus - i've been using 0.23 for ages now and it's still annoying).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>