[mythtv-users] AC3 stero always decoded by myth in 0.24?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 13:56:03 UTC 2010

Hi

On Monday, November 15, 2010, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:

> As I said, it is.
>
> I probably should have been more clear in my original posting that the
> material that I am playing that is "losing" it's AC3 on playback is 2ch
> AC3 as recorded from digital cable.

If you check the logs with -v audio, you'll find that some audio
processing is occurring making myth having to first decode the signal;
 either resampling, software volume, conversion of format, up mixing,
down mixing etc.

As explained earlier; as re-encoding to AC3 doesnt add anything (to
the contrary) the if audio stream has to be decoded first, and your PC
supports the number of PCM channels required for playback ; then
that's what it uses.

It will sound identical.