[mythtv-users] FIXED - 0.24 - UK DVB-T - dropping frames like crazy

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Sun Nov 14 21:08:42 UTC 2010

Oh, well, fixed it... I hope :o)

The problem was a failed fan.

Than fan extracts hot air around the GPU, assisting the GPU fan, this is
a cramped case.

The GPU temperature shot up, the GPU must have gone is a thermal
security mode and VDPAU decoding must not have been that great anymore
with GPU utilization going up, up, up...

http://youplala.net/~will/htpc/nv_gpu_util-day.png

Graphing all of this is not a geek thing, it can actually help! I need
to setup Munin to send me emails when thresholds are crossed.

As for why it crapped out with DVB-T and not my mkv files... I'm
guessing that the MPEG-2 decoder hardware is not as efficient as the
H.264 decoder in the GT220. I had noticed that before.

Nico