[mythtv-users] Auto-marking videos as watched

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 14 23:14:23 UTC 2010

  On 11/14/2010 05:51 PM, Sean Grieve wrote:
> I ran a verbose frontend and this is what I found after I finished
> watching the video:
>
> --------------
> 2010-11-13 08:47:10.614 MSqlQuery::exec(DBManager0) UPDATE videometadata
> SET watched = 'false' WHERE title = 'TEST' AND subtitle = 'TESTSUB' AND
> filename = 'TEST.avi' ;
> 2010-11-13 08:47:10.615 Marking recording as unwatched
> --------------
>
> Have posted to dev forum. Haven't had a response yet though.

Where are you within the video when you exit.  You need to be
"sufficiently close" to the end for MythTV to mark the recording as
watched.  Note, also, that for some video types, MythTV may not be able
to figure out how close you are to the end without help (i.e. for MPEG-2
you may need to create video seek tables, or for some AVIs you may be
out of luck, etc.).  How close is "sufficiently close"?  If you always
exit within the last 4 minutes of the video, it should be sufficiently
close.  On longer recordings, farther from the end will work (up to 12
minutes), but I recommend always exiting within 4 minutes of the end if
you're relying on automatically marking the recording as watched rather
than manually doing so.

Note that MythTV will mark a show as not watched--even if it was marked
as watched when you entered playback--if you exit at any point that's
not close enough to the end.  (Since you started watching, again, and
didn't finish, MythTV assumes you want to finish watching it later.)

Mike