[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Mon Nov 15 19:35:49 UTC 2010

On 11/15/2010 08:09 AM, Josh White wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Ryan Patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com
> <mailto:ryan.goat at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Brad Templeton
>     <brad+myth at templetons.com <mailto:brad%2Bmyth at templetons.com>> wrote:
>     > For example, I did not watch "Lost" on TV and was thinking of
>     watching it
>     > via DVD, but now there have been so many spoilers about the
>     ending that
>     > I probably won't do so at all
>
>     There is no way to spoil the ending of Lost.  The end was so pour
>     nobody knows what happened (even the writers).
>
>     -Ryan
>

> Is it so obvious that no one will bring it up? What will it take to
> make an android based frontend that could be installed on a GTV once
> they open the platform to such things?  Then you'd really have the
> best of all worlds.

That's a bit of work.  While Android is linux based, android apps are
JVM based, only  a very few blessed apps (like the web browser etc.) get
to be in C.      So it means writing a frontend in a language that
compiles to Java.    You aren't going to write your video playback in
java, but I have to presume the GTV platform, which I have not examined,
has APIs to stream videos in the GTV way (including their OSD stuff etc.)

However, you would want more than a MFE android app, since you would
want to integrate with GTV so that it can search the Myth listings and
recordings, and queue recordings.

But there are two directions to go.  One is MFE inside Google TV.  The
other is the use of the same control protocols that GTV has been able to
spur deployment on to use MythTV to control and get data from more
STBs.    Even if you plan to use one of the new generation h264 encoders
on your component outputs to transcode-store your videos, it is still
nice if your myth box can extract listing data from the STB and tune the
STB over IP rather than with ir blaster or serial port.

But the hard reality is that transcoding loses quality and is expensive,
and as the satellite companies offer their DVRs for "free" that's a path
that will be less popular, in spite of the advantage it confers in
unified interface, and all the tools you get when you can read the
plaintext video stream.