[mythtv-users] Synchronising frontends

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Nov 15 21:04:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-15 at 14:55 -0600, Greg Oliver wrote:
> I remember this exact topic last year about this time  :)
>
> Since then, someone posted a nice link to multicat thought:
>
> http://ivoire.dinauz.org/blog/index.php?post/2010/09/02/Multicat

Interesting, especially in the context of multicast, because that's what
is really needed to make this work.  While it will guarantee that both
(or as many as you have) frontends will receive the stream at the same
identical time, I guess it doesn't really guarantee that all frontends
will be synchronized in their processing of the streams and thus have
their audio all exactly in sync.

But that said, it would be an interesting feature if there was a choice
when requesting a program to be played from a front-end to a backend to
do it on a multicast address so that other frontends could simply
"join" (i.e. tune in) the broadcast.

A "niche" feature, to be sure, in these times of "on demand"
programming, so I'd not hold my breath for it, natively in Myth.  :-)

b.