[mythtv-users] backend in appletv 2g?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 16 00:13:38 UTC 2010

On Monday, November 15, 2010 05:05:02 pm Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/15/2010 17:37, Brian Wood wrote:

> >> If you have an HDHR, you can access it from any machine on the
> >> network. Why bother dedicating a slave backend to it?
> >
> > You might want a slave BE to do commflagging or transcoding duties
> > I suppose, and it would need *some* capture device, and the Plugs
> > are limited to USB or network devices.
>
> The jobqueue is available as 'mythjobqueue' if you want to take part
> in the queue but don't have a tuner for a proper backend.  Either
> way, you wouldn't want to bother running a jobqueue on either the
> previous or current AppleTVs, or any plug computers for that matter.

Certainly none of those devices are speed-demons. I have learned that in
many (non-Myth) cases waiting hours or even days is not a problem. It
amazes me what I have been able to have my NSLU2s do when I am not in
any hurry.

I recall one time having to decide between a 33 Mhz. 386/387 machine and
the "speed daemon", a 25 Mhz. 486, for a CAD machine. A few years really
changes our perspective on CPU speed. A 266 Mhz. NSLU2 would have been
unbelievable back then.

I wasn't aware you could have a separate machine running commflag or
transcode jobs without needing to have a full backend on it, thanks for
that tip.