[mythtv-users] cutlist editor feedback (was Re: cutlist editing hangs frontend)

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 04:51:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 6:17 PM, Craig Sanders <cas at taz.net.au> wrote:
> TRANSLATION: "Feedback of any kind is not welcome, no matter how it is
> worded. Users can suck it up or STFU."

Really?  Is that what it means to say basically "OMG, that was really
long!".  If you expect people to read everything you wrote, you will
be massively disappointed when it's that many pages long.  Especially
when it follows you accusing the person who wrote a chunk of code of
(you pick which):
a) lying
b) not knowing what he coded
or
c) just being plain wrong.

It rapidly eroded your credibility in my mind.

I am glad there are those out there who are willing to give feedback.
It is essential.  But when that feedback would take about 10 pages if
printed out...  it's likely to get skimmed over at best.  We are
humans.

> thank you for helping to prove one of my points by providing yet another
> demonstration that any form of feedback or criticism on the myth lists
> will be attacked, no matter how it is written.

Baloney.  Long-winded (even if useful) posts are likely to get
ignored.  That's a problem I often fall into myself.  I'm sure Michael
will find some time to read through all of that.  However, most of us
won't.

> ps: you need to look up the word "diatribe" in a dictionary. whatever it
> is that you *think* it means is wrong.

Uh huh.  OK then, if you say so.  How about I substitute a synonym
with slightly different connotations...  Harangue...  as in a
long-winded speech that has some elements of sermonizing...  as that
is how your message came across to me.

> pps: apart from a bit of brown-nosing sycophantry, what was the actual
> purpose of your reply? it didn't actually add anything, it didn't even
> really say anything.

Ummm.  OK...  Whatever you say.  BTW, I would think that a user
calling one of the developers a "sycophant" on an open source
project... is about as far from accurate as you are likely to get.  If
you want to get to the "throwing mud" stage... Nah, I won't play that
game.

> sadly, i suspect it is necessary to point out to you that that was what
> is called a rhetorical question. that means there is no need for a
> reply.

I suspect that you will find that your looooooong message added about
as much to the general conversation as our pointless conversation
since.   It was just too long for most people to digest.  You gotta
cut up the food into bite-size chunks or people tend to choke on it.
That's not to say that you don't have good points, I'm sure you do.

Anyways, I'm off to relax and watch some TV while coding more.  And
I'll be sure to mention to Michael to read your missive if I see him
online.