[mythtv-users] X Not Starting - NVIDIA 260.19.12 driver upgrade

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 12:29:06 UTC 2010

Hi

On 11 November 2010 07:17, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> modprobe loads a kernel module and all dependent modules. modprobe -r
> removes it.
>
> The previous poster was suggesting that you try loading the nvidia
> module to see if it loaded ok. If it did, the modprobe command should
> complete without adverse comment. If it didn't you should get an error
> message.
>
> modprobe always requires root privileges.

I just built 260.19.21 nvidia packages for ubuntu, using ubuntu 10.10
drivers as a basis.

I experienced the same issue as the original poster at first.

I found that as the kernel module has been renamed to nvidia-current.ko from
the original nvidia.ko ; the way the original package created the modalias
so you could use modprobe nvidia would only work at boot time not after.

You need to do sudo modprobe nvidia-current to load the nvidia kernel ; it
won't load automatically after a boot.

I have fixed this, in the nvidia packages in my repo (and named the package
nvidia-glx-260 as I much prefer this to nvidia-current)

JY