[mythtv-users] Some notes on Google TV

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue Nov 16 23:35:58 UTC 2010

On 11/16/2010 05:20 AM, Anthony Giggins wrote:

> On 14 November 2010 22:51, Richard Morton <richard.e.morton at gmail.com
> <mailto:richard.e.morton at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     thanks for the small write up.
>
>     The only thing I have seen about GoogleTV that beats Myth is the
>     integrated search across content.
>
>     combining MythVideo, MythNetVision and recordings into a single screen
>     of "whats available to watch".
>
>     With regard to the arrow keys/keyboard comparison... thats purely up
>     to the implementor with MythTV... Afterall you can always turn off the
>     onscreen keyboard and use a remote/radio/ir keyboard such as the tiny
>     lenovo / logitch ones.
>
>     thanks for the info though

> Sounds pretty much what I suggested 5 months ago

> Cheers,
>
> Anthony

I am sure myth would have had a universal search some time ago if not
for the fact that a lot of Myth is coded to work for people who just
have a remote control and not a keyboard.    It was not so long ago that
there was even a bug when you wanted to do a search and type in strings
that pressing digits would act like a remote control and cycle through
the letters.

My general view was that this wasn't too bad because there was mythweb,
and mythweb in my view should be the primary (and only) interface to
most of the complex aspects of MythTV, including most configuration,
priority adjustment and so on.  Search within MythTV was painful enough
that I always went to mythweb (in a browser window on the frontend box
frequently) and so that was the right place for that.

Google TV search has upped the bar a bit, though, with its suggestions
as you type and having a single button that calls up search in the OSD
even while you are watching a program.