[mythtv-users] Squeezesoft prevents audio in .24

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:36:15 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 17 November 2010 15:03, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Use something else than ALSA, so more than one program can play audio at the
> same time. Like PulseAudio.
> If you enable pulse, you can either use the native pulseaudio interface:
> PulseAudio:default
> ou ALSA:pulse which provides ALSA compatibility.
>
> The other possibility is to configure squeezeslave to use a different audio
> output rather than the SPDIF one. But this will depend on your audio card
> and the alsa driver if you can output to both devices at the same time.

I may just create a workaround by binding a key to the remote that
will start and stop the squeezeslave player.  Learning and configuring
Pulse is a little more difficult than what I want to do and may add
more issues (unless you think it is relatively straightforward).
Plus, I think squeezesoft requires use of alsa.

> I can't see how this ever worked before... ALSA requires exclusive access to
> the hardware, if it's opened by one application, it can't be used by another
> ; that's why you have sound server like pulse audio.

Don't know what to say.  It worked.  I could not play from squeezesoft
and myth simultaneously, but the two never seemed to conflict with
each other.