[mythtv-users] what is the order of preference of LPCM, DD, and DTS

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Nov 17 14:24:54 UTC 2010

More questions about the new audio configuration settings...

In 0.24, if I have all of LPCM, DD, and DTS selected, what is the
preferred output method?  Is it decoding by Myth and sending as PCM or
is it passing through of DD and DTS?  In my experiments, it appears that
passthrough is preferred if DD (or DTS) are selected, even if LPCM is
selected.

I guess with such selected options, LPCM is used as a fallback, when
audio is not encoded with AC3/DTS.  But wouldn't LPCM always be the fall
back for a digital connection anyway?  I guess I'm failing to understand
why LPCM is even an [un]selectable option if it chosen as a lower
priority to DD/DTS passthrough when all three are selected anyway.

Cheers,
b.