[mythtv-users] Google TV HDMI Input

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 17 22:56:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, November 17, 2010 03:45:56 pm Brad Templeton wrote:

> For linux boxes, it seems that a card which can take HDMI in, and
> play various transforms on it to combine it with other signals and
> then do HDMI output would be reasonably doable.    Possibly even
> partly in software if the incoming signal does not have HDCP.    It
> should be possible to make a card that does all that with HDCP as
> long as it does not make the pass-through stream available to the
> system, but rather only allows mixing stuff with it for OSD, and
> switching and the like.
>
> Don't know if we in the myth world are enough market for such a card,
> though.

I'm afraid the problem is more than just market size. The MPAA/RIAA
perceives Linux as a "pirate tool", and is unlikely to approve anything
running on or working with that OS.

Witness the problems in getting a licensed CSS implementation on Linux
(though I think I read somewhere that there finally is one, (Fluendo?).

Doesn't mean we can't try though.

The real problem is that to the H'Wood types "Pirate" is defined as
"someone who is aware of their legal rights, and wants to use them".

They don't seem bothered by the folks selling massive quantities of DVDs
containing stolen material, since nothing they have ever done would stop
them.

They'd rather go after somebody they can take to court, preferably with
no access to legal assistance.