[mythtv-users] Transcoding in real time

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Thu Nov 18 00:28:35 UTC 2010

On 18/11/2010, at 1:15 PM, Raymond Norton wrote:

> Are you referring to mythexport? I am currently using it and it works fine, but runs after the recording is finished, which can be several hours, depending on what I record.
>
> Ultimately, I am trying to duplicate what Orb does (orb.com) and watch live TV on my IPod. The UPNP players wont play mpg files, so I have to use my laptop with mythtv Frontend.
>
> I almost have what I am looking for by using japelserver on my myth box. It does a nice job of transcoding mpg files, so I can watch them via Safari on my IPod. Unfortunately, you cannot fast forward past commercials like with UPNP players, and if the connection breaks, you have to start from the beginning of the file.
>
> If myth trascoded to mp4,  on the fly, I could use my IPod UPNP player to access the file and have all the functionality I am looking for.

I've used AirVideo to transcode items for my iPhone and iPad, along with mythlink.sh to get readable filenames.

http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/

I haven't tried watching an in progress recording, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.  I've used it successfully from a separate Mac Mini (2.53GHz Core 2 Duo / OS X) using NFS mounts to my main Myth box, as well as setting it up directly on the backend box (Core i7 / Ubutuntu 10.04). It runs fine for SD recordings on the Mac Mini. I've tried watching 3 simultaneous SD recordings via my backend box, and it didn't break a sweat.

 - Wade