[mythtv-users] no 2ch AC3 passthrough when speakers == Stereo

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Nov 18 14:59:51 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-11-18 at 10:23 +1100, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi

Hi,

> My Sony TV is plugged via spdif to my amp

Same situation here.

> If playing stereo, I can play it via the TV directly (and both plays
> it, and pass via spdif to the amp).
> If 5.1, I have the amplifier

Sounds like a good use-case

> Now that it does AC3 passthrough even for stereo content, I get
> garbage on the TV because it can't decode AC3 and I must use the
> amplifier at all time..

Sounds like you need to be able to instruct Myth to decode AC3 for 2ch
(and sent it via PCM) and pass it through for > 2ch.  Sounds
familiar.  :-)

> So decoding for stereo all the time did have a purpose..

Sure.  But should everyone have to have their AC3 decoded because it
fits one use case?  Or should everyone have to have their AC3 passed
through because it's another's use-case?  Sounds like some flexibility
is in need here, which is *exactly* what I was asking for/proposing.

> I have a work around for plugging the TV differently, but I may revert
> that change in the near future..

TBH, I don't think that's fair.  It's inconsistent only because it
satisfies one use-case.  It even rang inconsistent to you when you
decided to fix it.  IMHO, this is just more evidence that flexibility is
needed.

b.