[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 18 17:10:47 UTC 2010

On Thursday, November 18, 2010 08:59:26 am Dom H wrote:
> I use MakeMKV for Bluray playback but I kinda was looking for
> something free (I know the beta is but it won't be forever)
>
> How reliable is Handbrake at creating un-transcoded rips (main title
> or full disc, I don't mind)?

(BTW - top-posting is frowned upon on this list)

I don't think Handbrake does that, it will output an MKV or MP4
container, but not an ISO, or VOB files, and is mainly about transcoding,
seemingly trying to get away from its original purpose, which was
ripping DVDs.

"Un-transcoded" is not what Handbrake is about.

Handbrake is a good transcoding tool for non-DVD source material as
well.

You can read more about what H/B does, and why it does it, on the main
site:

http://handbrake.fr/