[mythtv-users] flash-capable frontend

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 19 16:24:49 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:50:40AM -0500, Joey Morris wrote:
> I want to build a frontend-only system that will play back recordings
> from my HDHomerun and Miro, but also handle Flash content as well as
> can be expected on Linux. The Flash I intend to view is primarily
> video from Comedy Central with a little Hulu now and then. This will
> be in the living room, so I'd like it to be quiet, and low power would
> also be nice.
>
> I've priced out a couple options below (prices include shipping). The
> first is based on a suggestion on the list a couple weeks ago,
> mini-ITX with onboard nVidia 9300. The second is a micro-ATX with a
> discrete video card.

   As far as CPUs go, I have good results from the faster Intel Core 2's.
Dunno enough about the E5500 to be confident that it will be up to the task.
Someone else might be able to chime in on that.

   In general, I would go with the Intel CPUs over the AMD ones as the Intels
seem to perform better in my experience. I am sure someone else has different
ideas.

   When it comes to Flash, you can never have a fast enough CPU.

> For both options, I plan to netboot or boot from a flash drive, so
> I've left off a hard drive. I'm also considering running caseless, so
> I've left off a case. I have enough keyboards, mice, and remotes to
> get me started, so I've left those off as well.
>
> Mini-ITX
> --------
> Motherboard: Zotac GF9300-G-E NVidia 9300 ($140)
> CPU: Intel Pentium E5500 2.8GHz 65W ($70)
> RAM: A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 ($40)
> Power: picoPSU-120 + 80W Adapter Power Kit ($60)
>
> Possible upgrades:
> CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz 65W ($125)

[deletia]