[mythtv-users] flash-capable frontend

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 19 20:32:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 09:49:00AM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Friday, November 19, 2010 09:24:49 am jedi wrote:
>
> >    In general, I would go with the Intel CPUs over the AMD ones as
> > the Intels seem to perform better in my experience. I am sure
> > someone else has different ideas.
>
> Could you elaborate? "Better" in terms of absolute performance?
> Performance per dollar? Better in terms of performance per watt?
>
> Obviously an AMD Phenom II X4 will "perform" better than an Atom, but
> that's not a very helpful comparison. We need to try and compare apples

    Better in the context of the CPUs mentioned in the guys message.

    Specifically, with "similar" products running at the same speed the
Intel kit seems to be faster. My own experience is with C2Q vs. Phenom II.

[deletia]
> Buying too much CPU (yes, you can have too fast a chip) is just as silly
> as not buying enough. You need to match the hardware to the task at
> hand.

    If you are going to brute force your video decode, you might as well
do it like you mean it. Chances are that you will need that horsepower
sooner or later for something like Flash or BluRay.