[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.24 HDMI audio problem

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Nov 19 21:36:27 UTC 2010

On Nov 19, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> what's more annoying is that I can't get AC3/DTS passthrough for any
>> of the devices.
>>

> I had a talked about this.
> And depending on the version of ALSA you are using, the device
> information you should enter in myth is either;
>
> 1)With a recent kernel (not sure which version it started from) and a
> version of ALSA-lib containing this change:
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=e6d5dcf1f625984605d362338d71162de45a6c60
>
> ALSA:hdmi:CARD=YourCardName,DEV=id
>
> YourCardName being what's returned by a play -L like: NVidia
> id: being one of the number device used by the hdmi port
>
> Or:
> 2)Define an alias in ALSA
> like mythtv_hdmi:CARD=foo,DEV=x that link to
> intel hda, allowing the use of the extra DEVs when the system alsa-lib
> doesn't have the above patch..
> and use ALSA:mythtv_hdmi in the myth audio configuration.
>
> Uncheck the advanced audio bit and force of passthrough.
>
> I'll get myself a GT220 and see how it goes. Hopefully will find a way
> to make all of this a bit easier to configure.

It looks to me like a lot of the blame goes to alsa support for
these cards being crap. I've tried damned near every suggestion
here and on that xbmc page and misc other things, and I still
cannot get a peep out of the hdmi connection on my GT220 with
*any* application -- not aplay, not mplayer, not mythtv... Not
sure if its directly related or not, but scanning for audio
devices tends to always segfault on this box too. Same build
works just fine on an ion box.

(nVidia 260.19.21 driver, ALSA 1.0.23 kernelspace and userspace).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com