[mythtv-users] Backend crashing since adding Freesat source

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Sun Nov 21 15:27:23 UTC 2010

On 21/11/2010 15:03, Robert McNamara wrote:
> You have unknowingly discovered your own problem.  If you see libx264
> errors in the logs, you have a very, very broken compile of myth.  I
> will go out on a limb and guess that these are Debian packages?  I
> only make that assumption because they are the ones who have
> classically decided that ./configure --help does not apply to them,
> and to use options which are actually not a part of myth configure at
> all, but rather a part of what we inherit from ffmpeg.  Compiling myth
> with --enable-libx264 *will* cause serious crashes and should never,
> EVER be done.  Same goes for if your packager added --enable-libxvid,
> or any other option not present in ./configure --help.
>
> Basically, whomever compiled your packages read through configure, saw
> that you could invoke the ffmpeg options, and decided that it would
> somehow be good or preferable to add these options in spit of the fact
> that we disable their display for a reason.
>
> Once you get this sorted out, it would be helpful if you opened a bug
> with your packager to discourage them from ever doing this again.
> Feel free to tell them that I said they are not smarter than
> ./configure --help.

Brilliant! So this can be fixed. I wonder if you can tell me how to find
out what configuration was used for my version? Is there a way that
a built myth can tell me? Maybe I could post it for you to run a quick
eye over?

I suppose it might be better for me to build myth from scratch, but I'm
a bit nervous of having to solve a lot of problems that the packman
packagers have already had to deal with. What do you think?

Cheers,
	Paul.