[mythtv-users] Any tweaks possible for a remote frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Nov 21 18:34:51 UTC 2010

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:23:02 am rawgarlic at gmail.com wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Richard Morton
> <richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> the short answer is maybe.
>
> It depends on the hardware. Decoding media for playback is very
> computationally intensive. It. Seems your cpu cant handle it but if
> you have an nvidia graphics chips such as an ion chipset for an
> intel ion processor... the ion is also known as a nvidia geforce
> 9400m. Or anything from about an 8400 series onwards you can look
> into enabling vdpau.
>
> Check your graphics chip then have a look on the wiki.

The Wiki shows only nVidia chips can do VDPAU.

Does "intel ion processor" mean Intel has some VDPAU-capable graphics
chips? If so, which ones?

AFAIK only nVidia GPUs can do VDPAU, if some of the Intel ones can do so
it, would widen the options for frontends considerably. I have written
off several possible F/E machines because they had Intel graphics, was I
wrong?

Or was this a typo of some sort? I think "Ion" means an Atom with a
9400, so it might be called an "Intel Processor".

I thought "Ion" was somewhat like "Centrino", it's market speak for a
certain chip combination.