[mythtv-users] FC14 lirc mce remote

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 22 05:32:20 UTC 2010

On Nov 21, 2010, at 7:51 AM, John Haywood wrote:
>> That device ID isn't currently in mceusb.c, so we have an explanation
>> for why the driver isn't loading. That's actually the same device ID
>> someone sent along to me and said works with the mceusb driver. I'll
>> get it added upstream and see about adding that to the F14 kernel when
>> I have a chance. In the interim, you'll have to build an out-of-tree
>> mceusb driver w/that device ID added... If need be, I can write up
>> what's needed to do that.
>
> If you wouldn't mind, I'd be really grateful.
>
> I stepped away from fc a couple of myth releases ago, but I'd love to get back.

The least disaster-prone(*) route would be to grab the kernel srpm for
the kernel you're running and install it. Then go into ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/
and run rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec. Then head into
~/rpmbuild/BUILD/kernel.../linux.../drivers/media/IR/ and edit mceusb.c
in there, adding your device's ID. Install the kernel-devel package
matching your kernel, then:

make -C /usr/src/kernels/<version> M=$PWD modules in the same dir where
mceusb.c is. In the end, you should have a bunch of .ko files in there,
but all you need is mceusb.ko. Copy or move mceusb.ko somewhere into
your kernel modules hierarchy (for an out-of-tree build, I usually just
drop 'em into /lib/modules/<version>/extra/), then run depmod -a. After
that, you should be able to modprobe mceusb (or unplug and replug your
device), and it ought to work.

(*) You could also get the full linuxtv new_build.git setup and build
all v4l/dvb and ir drivers, but its a full stack replacement, versus
just replacing one module.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com