[mythtv-users] [ATrpms-users] Fedora vs. CentOS - Thoughts

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Mon Nov 22 15:25:10 UTC 2010

I initially went from Fedora Core (IIRC, FC 5 or 6) to CentOS to avoid
the constant upgrades of FC and the hassle of pulse-audio not working
and no one (in the FC org) admitting it.  I read that pulse-audio is now
less of a problem.

I've stayed with CentOS for the back-end and MiniMyth for the
front-ends.  I find them relatively easy to install and update as Myth
evolves.  I've been thru plenty of hardware upgrades and replacements
during that time and have, on occasion, had a driver problem with new
hardware.  But whenever I have a driver issue, I've been able to find a
good solution at elrepo.  So I'm pretty happy using CentOS, with elrepo
for VERY new drivers, for the back-ends.

As noted above, I use MiniMyth for the front-ends.  My FE's are all
diskless, and use network booting.  I find the software to be easy and
stable, ... and most of all, the guy who makes MiniMyth is outstanding.
  He has one of the best customer satisfaction approaches I've seen.  He
makes good stuff, he keeps it very current, he works with users to solve
problems, and he doesn't talk down to his users.  Very pleasant and very
unusual.

My $.02.

Joe Henley