[mythtv-users] [ATrpms-users] Fedora vs. CentOS - Thoughts

Jelte Veldstra jelte.veldstra at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 19:00:37 UTC 2010

> I've stayed with CentOS for the back-end and MiniMyth for the front-ends.  I
> find them relatively easy to install and update as Myth evolves.  I've been
> thru plenty of hardware upgrades and replacements during that time and have,
> on occasion, had a driver problem with new hardware.  But whenever I have a
> driver issue, I've been able to find a good solution at elrepo.  So I'm
> pretty happy using CentOS, with elrepo for VERY new drivers, for the
> back-ends.
>
> As noted above, I use MiniMyth for the front-ends.  My FE's are all
> diskless, and use network booting.  I find the software to be easy and
> stable, ... and most of all, the guy who makes MiniMyth is outstanding.  He
> has one of the best customer satisfaction approaches I've seen.  He makes
> good stuff, he keeps it very current, he works with users to solve problems,
> and he doesn't talk down to his users.  Very pleasant and very unusual.
>
> My $.02.
>
> Joe Henley

A "me too" for the above. For the backend CentOS 5 has served me well.
Now with the dependencies on PHP and QT for 0.24 we may need to
upgrade to CentOS 6 when that comes out, but I believe Axel is working
on that, so I just wait and see.

I too use MiniMyth as a frontend and are very happy with it. The way
Pablo maintains and supports this project is fantastic indeed.