[mythtv-users] How to fix overscan through Onkyo Receiver

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 08:43:13 UTC 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, at 09:17, Jim Berwick wrote:

> Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.  I formerly had one of my myth boxes attached directly to my Vizio VP42 TV through VGA with a 1360x768 resolution on an Nvidia GT210 graphics card.  This worked perfectly with no overscan.
>
> I just put in an Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver (replaced an older Onkyo that had no HDMI/VGA connectivity) and now I have terrible overscan in MythTV.  The Onkyo notes it is outputting to the TV over HDMI at 1280x720p and all other content (bluray player over HDMI, PS2 over composite, Wii over component) is being scaled to the correct size with no overscan.

I have a TX-606 and the best way I found is to configure the HDMI as passthrough, this way the receiver makes no changes to the HDMI signal (apart from the source name) and everything is simple and as before. It's still possible to have other inputs configured to upscale or convert component or composite to HD over HDMI.

Maybe the 608 is different but I think it will still have this mode.

Andre