[mythtv-users] How to fix overscan through Onkyo Receiver

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Nov 24 10:37:17 UTC 2010

On 24 Nov 2010, at 10:27, Jim Berwick wrote:

> On 11/24/2010 3:43 AM, Andre wrote:
>> I have a TX-606 and the best way I found is to configure the HDMI as passthrough, this way the receiver makes no changes to the HDMI signal (apart from the source name) and everything is simple and as before. It's still possible to have other inputs configured to upscale or convert component or composite to HD over HDMI.
>>
>> Maybe the 608 is different but I think it will still have this mode.
>>
>> Andre
> The 608 does have a "through" mode for resolution, but it doesn't change the overscan issue :(

Was worth a try, that mode solved some similar (but not the same) problems for me.

Maybe there is some subtle difference when passed through the receiver that triggers some auto setting in the TV? There has been some discussion in other threads about TVs that automatically choose overscan/1:1 or rgb-full/rgb-limited depending on the input signal, maybe this related to your problem?

There is something in the Samsung's where you must name the input PC (I think) to get 1:1 (no overscan) and RGB-full. Panasonic Viera's only allow 1:1 when set to game mode.

Andre