[mythtv-users] Fw: Re: How to fix overscan through Onkyo Receiver

Mark Sherborne msherborne at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 24 16:15:31 UTC 2010

--- On Wed, 24/11/10, Andrew LaCroix <andrew.lacroix at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> From: Andrew LaCroix <andrew.lacroix at utoronto.ca>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] How to fix overscan through Onkyo Receiver
> To: "Discussion about MythTV" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Wednesday, 24 November, 2010, 15:58
> > nvidia-settings has an overscan
> slider..  Turn on mythtv, export your
> > display and run it on another machine while you watch
> the effects on
> > the TV.  You could also try a custom modeline
> (although if the onkyo
> > is in fact causing the overscan - it will just
> overscan that modeline
> > as well)
> >
> >> Sorry, I meant the _underscan_ property, of
> course.
>
> Just a thought, maybe try exporting the EDID (from
> nvidia-settings)
> while your Myth system is directly connected to the
> television, and
> then configuring X to use a customEDID once you're going
> through your
> receiver?
>
> I noticed that when switching over to pass-through (I have
> a Sony
> receiver) the EDID was reported differently in the X log
> file, I
> assumed it was because the card was now interrogating the
> receiver and
> not the TV.
>
> This may be totally bad advice but if you're looking for
> things to try
> it might be worth a shot :)
>
> - Andrew

I've got an Onkyo 308 and have downloaded both EDIDs when connected directly to my TV and when connected via the Onkyo; the two are identical apart from the device text.

What I do get is that 1080i50 or 1080i60 from my acer aspire revo (nvidia ion) works when directly connected but breaks up horribly when connected via the Onkyo. I guess there is some timing shift introduced by the Onkyo that the TV can't cope with. The playstation3 that I have connected also via the Onkyo works fine.

Mark