[mythtv-users] Fedora vs. CentOS - Thoughts

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 24 16:52:00 UTC 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 1:17 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

>>> Hi Jarod:  Of course, you are in a much better position than I am to know what is likely to happen here, and I'm not speaking with any inside knowledge.  Here's a recent post from Axel:
>>>
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/atrpms/users/14383#14383
>>
>> Okay, I suspected that might be where it was coming from. I'm
>> actually debating taking up the mantle to maintain the backports
>> tree, with a specific interest in making sure it builds on a
>> certain 2.6.32 kernel. I've got commit rights on the new build
>> system tree anyway, and will be committing bits to get it all
>> building w/2.6.32 again shortly.

>> /me shakes fist at kABI... Goes ahead with a build w/kABI checking
>> disabled for now...
>>

> Hi Jarod,
>
> Since it looks like RH is not gonna distribute their patchlist with
> their kernel sources any longer, the benefit of having their kernel is
> gone.

How so, exactly? (Not that I want to be argumentative, I'd
actually really like honest feedback about the issues this
causes for folks).

Nb: there's supposed to be a source browser w/patch details
in the Red Hat customer portal, but I've not seen the end
product yet myself.

> I sure wish they would change their mind about that.

Definitely make that known through official channels, as
loudly as you possibly can.

> Are you going to house a repo somewhere with your bits?

Yep!

> I know RH
> won't let you push that out to us video junkies  in rhn  :)

Yeah, notsomuch. :)

(Though a set of kernel patches enabling newer v4l/dvb bits is
a maybe for a later point release...)

> This whole kernel srpm without patches really bums me out...

Trust me, you're not the only one...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com