[mythtv-users] "Do you really need a discrete audio card ?"

Emmanuel eallaud at gmail.com
Thu Nov 25 23:23:10 UTC 2010

Jean-Yves Avenard a écrit :
> Hi
>
> On 26 November 2010 08:57, Emmanuel <eallaud at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hmm, not if you value DAC quality; on a good sound card you get a decent DAC
>> plus audio AOPs, it is in several good cards a much better DAC/preamp than
>> in not so cheap receivers.
>>

> And where is a DAC involved with an HDMI/Digital output again?

Oh OK I think we are talking of 2 different things: I was talking about
the fact that you can "split" the audio chaintools using a good discrete
sound card as a DAC/preamp, and several good cards are actually better
than the preamp in several receivers. So here I al talking of getting
analog sound out of the PC; in that case, integrated sound is definitely
inferior.
Of course if you just want to send digital sound, no problemo, anything
will do (at least for hdmi, it seems that some people think spdif can be
jittery, but I cant really tell, I have never tried).
In my case I am experimenting with really tiny class D amps (based on
Tripath chips) which are really efficient (like around 75-85%) and
powerful enough (around 60W RMS with low distortion), but they come as
bare amps: no DACs only analog inputs, hence the need to have a DAC/preamp.
Bye
Manu