[mythtv-users] [UK] - What's the best way to capture from a Sky digibox?

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 26 16:24:18 UTC 2010

On 26 November 2010 16:12, Paul Raison <paul at raison.org.uk> wrote:

> On 26 Nov 2010, at 15:55, Wayne Thomas wrote:
>
>> That comment just made me think, if I try to skip back or forwards
>> after watching an BBC HD show for some time (more than 10 minutes
>> probably) it jumps to the wrong spot as if the seektable is out of
>> whack.  I just took a look at my backend log, and you are correct, it
>> is absolutely riddled with h264 errors.  At  the time I was
>> watching/recording a BBC HD show.
>
> I also have problems with BBC 1 HD & BBC HD recordings in that the reported recording length is shorter than the actual recording length. I have to add at least 10mins to the end of a recording otherwise at playback, it stops playing just short of the end of the programme even the entire programme is actually in the recorded file. Very strange. Is this related to ticket #9176?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Raison

I'm not sure that these are errors, around the end of October there
was a 'change' to the way BBC HD stuff was being transmitted IMO, I
think they have reduced the number of B-Frames in the dataset.  The
reason I say this is I had to modify my own HD Transcode script to be
much more accurate with the cutpoints (My script transcodes HD
material keeping AC3 5.1 as AC3 5.1 if it exists in the original else
converts to MP3).

If people with BBC HD or BBC One HD try the following they may be
surprised......

If you have a recording made before say 10th October play the
recording and go into 'Edit Recording' mode, now jump forward say one
minute and see how long it takes for the jump to occur.

If you now do the same to recordings made from Mid November there's a
definite time lag before the jump is made, in some instances it can
take 3-4 seconds before the jump happens.

I'd be interested in other peoples results.