[mythtv-users] Not impressed with the iMON remote

Christian Szpilfogel chrisznews4 at rogers.com
Sat Nov 27 04:08:05 UTC 2010

On 26/11/2010 4:46 PM, dave cunningham wrote:
> In message <4CEFEFAB.3030207 at rogers.com>, Christian Szpilfogel wrote
>
> <snip>
>
>> I use an Harmony 880 on one system and an 890 with RF to an IR
>> transmitter on a second system.
>>
>> The 880 still needs line of site to the iMon receiver unlike some
>> other IR devices I have which seem to be able to receive reflections
>> (less finicky). It is a bit of a pain for me as the unit is below
>> table level and I sometimes have family walking in front me when I'm
>> trying to shut stuff down.
>>

> Thanks, looks like a cheap harmony's not going to be any good then :(
>
> With the 890 + RF receiver can you power on via the remote or does the
> RF unit need the PC switched on (power/driver) to function?

It sends RF from the remote to a receiver. The receiver can have up to 8
IR transmitters on it. You then put the IR transmitter (diode) over the
IR receiver of the device you want to control. So yes, it still powers
everything on.

The current 890 I have is used to control (and power on/off) a frontend
that I have in a closet. That way the monitor is the only thing you see.