[mythtv-users] NAS Hibernation

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Nov 27 14:53:33 UTC 2010

On Saturday, November 27, 2010 01:42:45 am dargllun wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a NAS in the basement which puts the disks in hibernate mode
> after 30m to save on energy and prolong disk lifetime.

That will certainly save energy, but there are various opinions about
whether it will actually prolong disk life.

It depends on many factors, including how often you spin the drives up
for access, and "Anyone who gives you a simple answer to this is, to put
it bluntly, foolish" (quote from the first link below).

You should research the issue, and decide if this is really a good idea
in your particular case. It may be, but then again it might not.

You might start here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/28943-35-prolonging-life-hard-drive

http://www.datafilerecovery.net/hard-drive-life.html

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-
upgrades/116207-external-hdd-should-spin-down-when-not-use.html