[mythtv-users] recordedseek table content

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Nov 28 14:13:39 UTC 2010

  On 11/28/2010 08:33 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 07:52, Wieslaw Kierbedz wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I found that table as much biger than others.
>> I'd like to clear it but I'm not sure what it contains.
>> Is that safe to reset recordedseek table?
>
> The recordedseek table holds.... seek data for recordings.  It's a
> record of the byte location of every keyframe for every currently
> existing recording.  It allows MythTV to do rapid byte-exact seeking
> without resorting to the traditional trial and error.
>
> Why are you looking for database tables to 'reset'?  You're not
> actually concerned with the few MB the database consumes, compared to
> the several GB required for each recording, are you?

For the record, it is not safe to go in and delete /any/ data in the
database directly.

MythTV cleans up the database to ensure you don't have any extra garbage
in there.

What data is there is there for a purpose.  Unlike many of our users
seem to think, we MythTV developers don't just write garbage into the
database to take up space.  ;)

And the recordedseek should be the largest table on any installation
with more than just a few recordings (unless you're using MythVideo and
have created a lot of MythVideo seek tables using mythcommflag --rebuild
--video, in which case the filemarkup may be larger).

Mike