[mythtv-users] IPTV via Microsoft Mediaroom (Sasktel Max)

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 21:37:49 UTC 2010

On 28/11/2010 1:15 PM, Greg Mitchell wrote:
> Robert Johnston wrote:
>> I have heard that several people in Saskatoon have already been
>> upgraded, and ISTR that at least one person on here is in S'toon on
>> Max, so IF he's been upgraded, and IF he has Myth working on New Max,
>> and IF he's still on this list, perhaps he can let us know how things
>> are working (or not) on the new system.
>
> A friend of mine set up Myth with Max at his mom's place. She got the
> upgrade a few weeks ago, but he hasn't been able to get me IPs etc for
> the new servers. For what it's worth, the old server infrastructure is
> still in place, and Myth continued to work without change.

It's good to know the old system is still there for now. I will be
purposefully holding back one of the three boxes I have to ensure it
doesn't upgrade. Then, hopefully, I'll be able to get something working
in the meantime.

> I suspect that they'll be turning off the old servers some time in the
> new year though.

More than likely, probably after then end of the rollout.

> At least we'll have a chance to see what's possible without a 12 hour
> time crunch though.

That is immensely helpful.

> If I get the upgrade package, I'll let you know what I find out (and
> hopefully you'll do the same)

I already have the "Upgrade pack" (I can take images/scan it if you
like, but you'll probably be getting it soon, and there's nothing really
groundbreaking in it). Got to say, the backlit new remotes are very
nice, though only having 3 devices to be able to program (Rather than 4
on the old remote) is a little bit of a bind, but I still have enough to
control my TV, Amplifier, and XBox (Frontend, running XBMC). And you can
redirect the volume control from the "TV" preset to the "Aux" preset. Of
course, I will make sure I document every step I take (And will probably
be discussing it on-list too), just as I did with "Old Max".

Apparently, if one of your boxes misses the upgrade, you can plug it in
post-upgrade, and it will be upgraded some time between 2am and 6am the
following day. Chances are they will keep rolling those upgrades out
overnight until the deployment is complete, too.

Here's hoping everything goes smoothly, and New Max is as easily tunable
as Old Max.