[mythtv-users] Standard PCI VDPAU-capable Video Cards vs. PCIExpress

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Nov 28 22:54:22 UTC 2010

On 29/11/2010 11:09 a.m., Brian Wood wrote:
 > With one exception (a Gigabyte K8NSC-939) they are all Asus boards. They
 > were set up with dual-core Opteron 165s. AMD made these Opterons with
 > 939 pins, for use with single CPU setups, and they are very nice CPUs.
 > As I said they overclock beautifully, and actually outperform the FX60s
 > of the same vintage.
 >
 > VIA has a reputation for flakiness, I stay away from them as much as I
 > can.

Sadly this was not obvious to me at the time of purchase many many moons
ago!

Stating the obvious one can always dip your foot in the water buying
just one and giving it a spin.  (To buy a fan or not to buy a fan...?)

If you're using these all for frontend use I am not sure why you'd want
to overclock them?  The only use for overclocking I really see would be
for faster comflagging on a backend?  (Or other file manipulations)

FWIW my pentium 3000's PCI FE's are in an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe and
Gigabyte GA 8IPE1000-G Rev 3.1

The 9500's probably will suck significantly more power but give the best
result.  The recent 8400's might be as good / better than the 9400's now?